Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Sunflower oil

Sunflower is an important edible vegetable oil source as it is one of the most widely cultivated oil crops in the world due to its ability to grow in large semi-arid regions without irrigation.

The sunflower plant originated in western North America. It is thought to have been domesticated around 1000 B.C. by Native Americans. Spanish explorers brought the sunflower to Europe in 1510.

Sunflower oil is rich in vitamins A, C, D and E. The high vitamin E content makes this oil especially helpful for delicate and dry skin.

It has a minimal color level and is a virtually odorless vegetable oil. The oil containing a high level of oleic acid is preferred in nutritional use. Sunflower oil exhibits stability and resistance to rancidity over time compared to other oils due to the high content of natural tocopherol.

Standard sunflower oil is predominantly composed of linoleic acid (C-18:2) and oleic acid (C-18:1). These two acids account for about 90% of the total fatty acid content of sunflower oil. The remaining 8-10% is comprised of palmitic and stearic acids (C-16:0 and C-18:0, respectively).

Sunflower is admired worldwide for its vibrant beauty and is an important source of food. Its oil is viewed as a healthy vegetable oil and used in many food purposes such as cooking, frying and etc. Oils contained high level of oleic acid had characterized that nutritional and benefits health.
Sunflower oil

Popular Posts

FoodNavigator RSS

Food Packaging Technology